Utilizing grant monies from the Hunterdon County Historic Preservation Fund, along with savings and donations, the church has had work done to rebuild the tower on this National Register building. Dignitaries from county and local governments have also been invited to share this historic occasion. We would love to welcome you to this joyous day. The church was originally established approximately three miles east of its current location, along the banks of the North Branch River, in 1719. This historic Dutch congregation moved to Readington Village in 1738. The founding pastor was the Reverend Theodorus Jacobus Frelinghuysen, progenitor of one of New Jersey’s most famous families. The Reverend Dr. Jacob Hardenbergh served this congregation all through the Revolutionary War when his inflammatory Patriotic sermons caused the British to put a fine of 100 pounds on his head. Hardenbergh went on to become the first President of Queen’s College – Rutgers University today. As the congregation outgrew its first church in Readington, a larger church was erected. Unfortunately fire consumed this structure, and a third church (this present building) was built in its place in 1864. The church, with its newly restored tower, is at the heart of the historic village of Readington. Readington Reformed (Dutch) Church is the oldest continuous congregation in Readington Township, and the second oldest congregation in Hunterdon County. The congregation is also one of the oldest in the United States.
Read about the steeple reconstruction in nj.com: "Steeple work latest chapter in Readington church's four centuries of history."